Logger’s Lunchbox – RNG
The Run-N-Gun (RNG) isn’t just a rig — it’s a fully integrated and completely redesigned DSLR workflow solution for run-and-gun shooting. It combines long-lasting power solutions, professional quality audio preamplification and rugged ENG ergonomics into one tough package. Built to endure hard work environments and extreme temperatures, the RNG helps shooters shoulder-up quickly and record professional-quality audio direct-to-camera with confidence with the help of critical audio monitoring solutions and menu-free controls.
IT DOESN’T JUST BRING SOMETHING TO THE TABLE….
IT BRINGS THE WHOLE TABLE.
- Rugged welded stainless steel Faraday cage
- Super-tough and fully adjustable aluminum exoskeleton
- 1/4″ and 3/8″ mounting holes for camera accessories
- Shoulder-mount ergonomics and tripod adaptability
- Camera-specific power and audio cable assembly
- 14v BP-U60 battery mount
- Industry-standard 4-pin XLR jack for DC power input
- Low voltage indicator
- Accessory power outputs in both 2.1 and 2.5mm standards
- V-mount or gold mount battery adapter (sold separately)
- Studio-quality audio preamplification
- 2 XLR isolated line or mic level audio inputs and 2 XLR mic level XLR outputs
- Switchable phantom power on either channel
- Menu-free audio leveling and metering
- Precision rectified peak detector
- 1/4″ stereo headphone jack and volume control
- Integrated headphone speaker that is automatically interrupted when headphones are connected
- Fast attachment method for wireless receivers
“IT’S THE PAPERCLIP TO THE NEW ENG SHOOTING STYLE.”
— CHRIS CUSIMANO, VIDEO PRODUCER
WHAT MAKES THE RNG UNIQUE?
ONE BATTERY TO RULE THEM ALL If you have any experience shooting with DSLRs, you’ve most likely experienced a fair share of traumatizing mid-interview power failures. You know, the ones where you’re in the middle of an interview with the CEO of a large company who scraped to be able to give you fifteen minutes of his time and your camera or audio recorder battery suddenly dies. These little battery escapades can be embarrassing and leave clients and producers toe-tapping while you climb underneath desks and tables, looking for clever locations for battery chargers. You know, the all-too-cleverly placed battery chargers that sometimes get lost or left behind, leaving you powerless for your next shoot.
The RNG’s proudest claim is that it distributes power to everything in your workflow from one single 14v battery while protecting your audio from electrical noise and interference. The accessory power ports on the front of the unit offer 12v passthrough and circuit overload protection. EVFs, external monitors, LED panels, microphones, audio recorders and more can receive their power directly from the RNG unit. Not to mention, a 14v battery can power a DSLR for hours on end. A unit running just a camera and microphone that uses phantom power will likely last you all day.
HOT-SWAPPABLE POWER SOURCES
The unit comes with a BP-U60 battery mount as well as an industry-standard 4 pin XLR power input. The power source can also be changed while the camera is running so you can keep rolling through critical moments. V-mount and gold mount battery adapters are also available (sold separately).
The RNG allows monitoring of the audio signal from the camera to ensure proper recording levels and quality. If your camera is compatible with the headphone monitoring feature*, you’ll will be able to record straight into the camera’s built-in input with confidence. Additionally, recording straight to camera eliminates the need for syncing audio and video footage in post, shaving off hours in the edit booth.
PEAK RECTIFIED PRECISION AUDIO METERS
The RNG’s audio meters are easy to read and offer a professional level of accuracy.
INTEGRATED HEADPHONE SPEAKER
The RNG also features a headphone speaker built into the body of the unit that is automatically interrupted when headphones are connected. This allows the user to listen to the audio during handheld shooting without the need for a headset.
The RNG has two main components. The electronics are contained in hand-welded stainless steel box that is then enclosed in a 1/4” aluminum outer shell. Why stainless? Stainless steel is strong, helps shield our most sensitive electronics and does not rust. The aluminum exoskeleton adds light-weight rigidity and allows users to mount accessories onto the body of the box. The unit was built specially for hard use environments, including exposure to salt water. It’s splash resistant, crush proof and can endure temperature extremes.
* Many DSLRs do not have native headphone output and may rely on the Magic Lantern or product equivalent firmware hack in order to facilitate this feature. For some camera models such as the Canon Rebel series, the cable kits we are supplying assume a user will be using Magic Lantern.
Disclaimer: we are NOT licensed, approved or endorsed by Canon, Panasonic, Sony, Blackmagic Designs or Magic Lantern.